Overview of Virtual Database Administrator (Virtual DBA)
Although today's data warehouse systems are highly fault tolerant, and require far less effort to administer than a traditional Relational Database Management System (RDBMS), the reality is that unforeseen hardware, software, systemic, or environmental problems can still occur at any time.
Because it's simply not cost effective for businesses to pay for dedicated skilled resources to just wait for such problems to occur, Smart Associates can monitor, manage, and maintain your data warehouse appliances remotely instead - freeing up your internal resources and providing the specialist experience you need, right when you need it most.
We have the experience of helping customers some of whom have the largest of systems - for example a 5 Petabyte data warehouse – on many different platforms, including IBM, Netezza, Hadoop, Teradata, Yellowbrick, Snowflake, Oracle, Greenplum, PostgreSQL, and in a variety of vertical sectors.
You choose the scope and hours of cover you need, up to 24x7x365. We then monitor, manage, and maintain your system for one low annual fixed price. And whenever any manual intervention is required, support incidents are charged on a "pay as you go" basis.
Scope of Virtual DBA
Every customer is different. Some prefer to outsource all aspects of data warehouse system management and maintenance to us, whilst others prefer to retain some key responsibilities in-house. We understand this, which is why right up front we agree with you who is responsible for doing what. This can include elements from the following four main categories:
- Monitoring appliance hardware, and raising and managing support tickets with the original supplier, including co-ordinating the replacement of failed components.
- Monitoring, diagnosing, and troubleshooting any RDBMS software issues, including escalation and management of support tickets with the original supplier where necessary.
- Monitoring, diagnosing, and troubleshooting system workload issues (potentially including specific named applications and processes e.g. replication, backup, housekeeping, ETL, reporting).
- End-user support (potentially including security, permissions, etc.)
Virtual DBA Additional Services
Optionally, the following services can also be performed on a time and materials basis, when out of scope for the Virtual DBA offering:
- Logical/physical database design
- Database design review
- Remote development or testing
- Source and change management/production deployment
- Software upgrades
- Legacy database and code migration
- LDAP Integration
- Row and column level security
- Disaster recovery
For more information please contact us here
, or email email@example.com